Saturday, April 09, 2005

Salvias

I'm wondering when the real peak season (if there is one), is for Salvias. Is it autumn/now???

Reason being, I was at a local market today, and there was a really big range of them, in flower. I had to really resist, and only bought the almost-black one that I had and lost a few years ago. A really deep, purple-velvet.

Plus a succulent I didn't have. Years ago, if you said I would be dotting succulents in pots all over the place, I would have said you were missing a few tools in the potting shed. Now, I am starting to really like them.

The leaves are really turning now, and starting to make coloured carpets underfoot. Just as the commonest pink nerine starts to come out amongst them. And the ornamental grape is red all the way along now. And all the tomato vines are withered, but I am still picking fruit from them.

I think this is the autumn peak. With still lots of green trees to colour.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I'm not sure if there is a peak time for salvias. I find that the shrubby sort never seem to be without flowers, unless they have just been pruned and then they flower again as soon as they've put on some more growth. Those that spread through the ground seem to flower more prolifically in summer/autumn before being cut down for the winter. Your deep purple one sounds very attractive. Will keep a lookout for that one.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Forgot to mention the succulents. I too have started collecting them after many years of treating them with distain. I love being able to propagate them so readily and they provide such a contrast in structure and colour to other plants. I think the drought has made us all think a lot more about different plants and how they can be used effectively in our gardens.

I still don't like cactus though.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home