Monday, September 05, 2005

It is Spring

It really is spring, and here is the sad state of the kitchen garden after winter. It is what happens when one area is ignored while I work on another (the front).

2Sept05b

Actually, it is looking a tiny bit better than this, as another of the beds is almost cleared of chick weed.

I have Tuesday and Wednesday booked for working all day in the garden (with a trip to the tip in there somewhere). So my aim is to post a picture of this towards the end of the week that is radically different.

Tomato seedlings are in the nurseries, but I reckon I still have a few frosts to go, so cannot plant yet. But I have some parsley to put out, and basil seedlings to coddle on under the verandah. And maybe now is the time for some spring onions. So I had better get busy.

But at least I have done my daffodil census, and know where the clumps are that I want to keep. All the rest can go out as I work through on a maintenance sweep again. Just need them to have time to die down - surely someone would like a few to plant for a massed display.

Although right at the moment they look fairly wonderful, even if they are just those ones that have reverted from the fancy ones that have to get lifted every year to retain their "oddness". There is a lot to be said for old-fashioned types.

And my white daffodils are coming out now, and are really beautiful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Who was the sadistic soul who invented/bred chickweed? I guess it's not the worst thing to have in the garden, but it's just such a regular annual visitor. Sometimes in desperation I just dig it into the ground as it rots fairly quickly.

Looks like you have a nice sunny spot for your vegies there, Chloe. Do you rotate your crops?

9:49 PM  
Blogger Calidore said...

I didn't invent chickweed, but do grow it on purpose. Chickweed is wonderful as a tea to drink or to pour into a bath to help ease the itch of execma. We grow it to help Nicola - although I will admit it is growing in abandonment in the vegie garden at the moment. Great minds think alike Chloe - my task yesterday was to clean up a couple of beds in the vegie garden. As for daffodils - send them my way - I can't get enough of them.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home