Saturday, December 10, 2005

Introducing Spike

It is blowing a gale out in the garden - but the Lavender is coming out and the Christmas Lilies are just lovely. And the Gladiolis too.

And I have spotted Spike. Or his brother or sister. Spike can occasionally be found in my garden, I think from the block next door - although they are not usually common in urban areas like ours. This one was just down the road

Spike2

From experience, you avoid these (it is a Spiny Echidna, for those overseas), as if you hit one with your car the spikes will flatten your tyres. Ask me how I know. Which makes them a bit different to the Wombats which are a little more common on our roads. (Translation for those overseas - Wombat = large boulder on four legs. In the bush can suddenly jump in front of your car at night with no warning. Ask me about Hoop Snakes some time).

When at all alarmed the Echidna just rolls into a ball, and presents spikes on all fronts. They are really very timid little animals.

Here is Spike a little closer, looking for ants in the table drain at the side of the road.

Spike

2 Comments:

Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Great photo!
I never seen a Spike personally.
I would love to see them.
Are they tame? How can you get that close and not scare Spike away?

6:55 AM  
Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Such a cute little animal! I saw one once when I visited Canberra, and it was like seeing a little alien.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home