Tuesday, December 10, 2013

This is War!

Those bloody feathered fiends! This is War!

You may remember on 1 November, I had a spotto! moment, when the first tomatoes were sighted.

These were developing nicely into a couple of yellow cherry tomatoes, so we decided to have a ceremonial first eating. I went out to pick them, to find the two ripe ones had totally disappeared. Not a sign to be seen.

Bloody Birds! They were on the plant on the right. They will not get any more.






I have also developed a new mulching method for small areas. It is called the "Brick Technique". No bird is going to be able to lift them to scratch out the remains of the red bunching onions. I can target water and the soil stays cool and moist underneath the bricks.

Just wish I had a few more bricks. Might buy a few more pavers.


So here is a bright spot instead. The Kangaroo Paws are in full flight.

Job to be done - return the sundial to its plinth.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassi said...

Those bricks look like a great idea! I've just planted a whole bunch of onion, and I'm hoping that the birds don't get to them (that said, they're usually too busy eating my apricots, so the onions may be safe!).
Christine

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ozjane said...

Despite trying to cover them I lost my 4 cherries on a 2 yr old tree to the birds....again.
I am going to have to net nectarines, plums and peaches and apricots. I love the watering cans.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home